Dodger Stadium has to be experienced in person. I previously noted that television doesn’t do justice to Minute Maid Park in Houston – this is even more true of the much more classical ballpark in Chavez Ravine. The beautiful park is photogenic from every angle, inside and out. The surrounding hills, palm trees, and soft blue coloring of park’s exterior create a definite oasis after fighting through L.A. traffic.
While there is a ton of parking surrounding the park, you can quickly get to the exterior and its worth a walk around the outfield side to get different views into the stadium. The trees and unique shaping of the roof portions in the outfield make for great pictures. There are also a couple of team stores outside the gates that allow for shopping before heading in.
Heading inside, the stadium shows its age a little in the concourses, but nothing bad. Turning your view to the field again means more great photo opportunities. The blue and yellow seats look great in the fading sunlight. A Dodger Dog in hand and you’ll be ready to relax in your seat.
A Tip of the Cap
- Utilizing the landscape (stadium is built right into the hill)
- External landscaping and trees that add to the feeling of being in a park
- The team stores outside the gates that allow for relaxed souvenir shopping
- The blue and yellow seats that just seem to work
- The open tables and seats at the top of each section
Swing and a Miss
It’s a bit unfortunate that you are confined to the level in which you have a seat – no walking around here like in more modern parks. That’s to be expected though, given the stadium’s age.
Trip to the Mound
Was very happy with loge level seats down the right field line. Good sight lines, comfortable seats, and a view of both the infield action and the outfield scoreboards.
Overall Rating: A
- Setting (A+): An oasis in Los Angeles; the Elysian Hills offer an attractive backdrop.
- External Appearance (A): Blue coloring helps the stadium look much younger than its age; lots of care goes into the landscaping.
- Internal Appearance (A+): Everything about Dodger Stadium as you look over the field is picturesque.
- Atmosphere (A): The crowd was into an early season match-up with the Brewers. One of the louder crowds I’ve heard at an MLB park for an April game.